What: Dune Grass Planting – Sat & Sun – November 23rd and 24th, 2013
Time: 8AM until the cows come home – RAIN OR SHINE
Where: Saturday – November 23, 2013 – North end (O Street to Brighton Ave.) Meet at any of the following beach entrances (O, L, J, H, F, D, or Brighton Ave)
Sunday – November 24, 2013 – South end (Brighton Ave to 9th Ave.) Meet at any of the following beach entrances (Brighton, North, 2nd, 5th, 7th or 9th Ave.)
- DPW employees will be on site for instruction, guidance or any questions you may have. They will be wearing yellow safety vests.
- Bring your own tools to plant! Curb pins, short pointed broom sticks work best.
- Enter the dunes only at designated areas marked with an ORANGE CONE which will be located on both the beach and boardwalk side.
- Do not damage the fence in any way!
- Planting priority is for the east side dune areas, dune crowns, beach entrances and other areas void of grass.
- DO NOT STEP ON OR TRAMPLE ANY PLANTS. We are planting areas with existing sensitive vegetation.
- Parents, chaperones, & volunteer group leaders – keep an eye on your kids.
- Do not plant within 10 ft of the boardwalk, pavilion, or roadway. This is a maintenance area which must be kept clear. Do not plant on extremely steep areas.
- Put 2-3 plants in each hole, 6”- 8” deep (about half the plant) & about 12” apart in staggered rows.
- Please be aware that debris may be encountered in the dunes – no bare feet!
- Thank you for your assistance!
OTHER VOLUNTEER GROUPS
If you are interested in leading a dune grass planting during the week, please call 732-793-5100, ask for the voice mail of Eric Wojciechowski – I will call you back asap to set something up. Grass is limited and must be put in the ground quickly.